The Other 9%

By Healthy Brain Now | October 25, 2018 | 0 Comments

A study by Nunez et al. reported that 91% of patients experiencing benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) had resolution of their symptoms with canal repositioning maneuvers. But what about the other 9%? Often times, these people who fall into the 9% become candidates for surgeries that involve cutting the vestibular nerve, a singular neurectomy, or…

Read More

Traumatic Brain Injuries: A Look Inside

By Jenn Bottoms | October 25, 2018 | 0 Comments

Every year traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) result in concussions, disability and even death. In addition, TBIs are connected to memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. What really happens inside our brains when one of these injuries is sustained. Research and studies from scientists and physicians are helping us to see inside the brain to better…

Read More

Memory Loss: Tips To Discuss Your Concerns With A Loved One

By Healthy Brain Now | October 25, 2018 | 0 Comments

As we get older, our chance of experiencing age-related memory loss is often a natural occurrence. However, sometimes, lapses in memory and periods of confusion are more than just basic forgetfulness. Sometimes, these symptoms can be indicative of a significant cognitive impairment, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. Starting The Memory Loss Conversation Can Be Difficult…

Read More

Concussions and the Elderly

By Jenn Bottoms | October 22, 2018 | 0 Comments

While athletes account for a great number of concussions sustained in the U.S. each year, they are certainly not the only concussion patients. People over the age of 75 have the highest rate of concussions, often occurring from a fall. As slips and falls become more common with age, and older adults recover slower than…

Read More

Could your medication for your chronic headaches be making you worse?

By Healthy Brain Now | October 19, 2018 | 0 Comments

When many people have migraines, the first thing they do is go to the doctor to be prescribed a medication or reach for their bottle of ibuprofen. These medications help people all the time relieve the symptoms associated with migraines, but could this be doing more harm than good in the long run? A recent…

Read More

Concussions and Athletics… What You Need to Know

By Jenn Bottoms | October 18, 2018 | 0 Comments

As more and more students and athletes are actively playing a variety of contact sports, the rate of concussions has steadily increased in recent years. Whether a high-school or collegiate athlete, a professional or semi-professional athlete or a weekend warrior, the concerns around sustaining and effectively treating concussions are very real. In the U.S. today,…

Read More

Let’s Talk About TBIs…

By Jenn Bottoms | October 15, 2018 | 0 Comments

Did you know that more than a million people sustain a Traumatic Brain Injury every year? According to a 2015 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.2 million emergency room visits are a result of a TBI and nearly a half a million of those are made by children ages 0 to…

Read More

Is Your Sleep Disorder Impacting Your Health?

By Healthy Brain Now | October 12, 2018 | 0 Comments

We all know that even a single sleepless night can wreak havoc on both our mood and performance throughout the day. Not getting enough rest can leave us feeling irritable and unable to complete even the most basic tasks. While we all expect to feel fatigue due to lack of sleep, many people don’t realize…

Read More

Meralgia Paresthetica – Are You At Risk?

By Healthy Brain Now | October 5, 2018 | 0 Comments

Meralgia paresthetica, a condition also referred to as Bernhardt-Roth syndrome, is a neurological disorder characterized by several symptoms such as tingling, numbness, and even acute pain on a person’s outer thigh. Other symptoms can also include sensitivity to both light and heat on the upper leg. While meralgia paresthetica is not generally a serious medical…

Read More

Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI): What It Is And How To Treat It

By Healthy Brain Now | September 28, 2018 | 0 Comments

Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) presents as a slight memory deterioration or thought process decline, which surpasses normal aging expectations but isn’t as advanced as Alzheimer’s disease. While the symptoms of MCI may seem mild, they are noticeable, both to the person experiencing it as well as those closest to the patient. Additionally, signs of MCI…

Read More

Leave a Comment